Friday, January 18, 2013

Brunswick Town and Fort Anderson

For a while, I've been wanting to go to Brunswick Town, a historic site that is about 20 minutes from where I live.

I've never had the chance to go so I decided to make visiting this site one of my goals this year.

The history of Brunswick Town is amazing. The town was built in 1726. It has survived 2 burnings from the British and 1 burning from the Spanish.

Fort Anderson was built in the 1880's and burned during the Civil War.

Not much remains of either Brunswick Town or Fort Anderson. Still, you can feel the history this town has experienced.


The St. Phillip's Church is the only building with walls still standing.


Walking through the Church. I still can't believe it survived being burned down.


Brunswick Town borders the Cape Fear River


Live Oak trees with Spanish Moss are always gorgeous


The mounds are what's left of Fort Anderson


The remains of the Royal Governor's house. 

It's amazing to me to be in a place that lived through the American Revolution and the Civil War. It makes you appreciate the history of those who came before us.

Interested in Brunswick Town? Learn more here:

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Fort Anderson was built in the 1880's and burned during the Civil War. I was not aware that this had happened. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete