Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas

I'm a little late writing my post for Christmas, but I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I spent my holiday with my family enjoying our Christmas decorations and meals.

Christmas Tree

Our den is where we really decorate.

Behind the sofa

Even the TV is decorated.





Our Dining Room Decorations


The countertop of our kitchen.

The other side.

Our apple tree

The other half of our kitchen

Another Christmas Scene

And, of course, our luminaries.

Even Rocky was forced...I mean... swept up in the Christmas Spirit.

Do I really have to wear the hat?

I love this time of year because it is fun to see my house transformed into a magical Christmas-themed wonderland. Even as an adult, I can still feel my inner child's excitement when Christmas day rolls around.

Christmas was also a time for new adventures. During the month of December, my family and I decided to explore Christmas attractions around the state.

The first place we visited was the Christmas Tea at the Pegg House Tea Room in Kernersville. Built in 1885, this house now serves as a tea room where you can have lunch or a proper English High Tea. They hold a special fixed Christmas Tea every year, and we decided to stop by and try it.

The Pegg House Tea Room
The staircase in the house.


Inside, the house was decorated for the holidays.

Christmas Tree



They even covered the seats to make them elegant.


The place setting was festive yet beautiful.

The tea came in two courses. The first was a delicious soup followed by the standard tea consisting of mini sandwiches, scones, and desserts. As always, I chose Earl Grey as my tea. Armed with that tea, I was ready to enjoy the feast they had provided for us.  


 Their butternut squash soup was amazing!  


Besides the mini sandwiches and desserts, they also had mini homemade quiche.

Of course, no tea is complete without scones and homemade Devonshire cream.

I loved the tea. It was delicious, and I'm definitely planning to come back and try their regular tea as well.

The other adventure my family and I chose this holiday season was to see McAdenville. Nicknamed Christmas Town USA and voted #7 on Yahoo's 2011 Top Ten Christmas Attractions, McAdenville lives up to its name. The entire town decorates for Christmas, transforming itself into a magical Christmas Light Wonderland. 


Welcome to Christmas Town USA


At one of the schools, they wrapped the air conditioners to look like presents.


One of the many houses that were decorated.


The lake


The reflection of the lights in the water was beautiful.


Driving through the town.


They really go all out.


I love these lights.

With over two miles to explore either by foot or car, there is a lot to see and marvel at. The lights start at 5:30 and weekdays are the best time to go. We were able to drive through the town twice without enduring too much traffic.

Charlotte is about 20 minutes from McAdenville, so we decided to treat ourselves to dinner in Charlotte at the Capital Grille. The food was amazing and enjoyable after the long drive.

Filet Mignon perfectly cooked.

You shared the sides so my family and I decided on Lobster Mac and Cheese


and French Green Beans and Shallots with Heirloom Tomatoes. 

I throughly enjoyed the holiday season this year. Whether experiencing new holiday events such as the Christmas Tea or McAdenville or reliving holiday traditions like decorating the house, this Christmas has been fun and rewarding.

Regardless of whether you celebrate Christmas, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and are looking forward to the new year to come.

~A. E. Keener

Interested in my adventures? Click the links to learn more:

~Pegg House Tea Room:

~McAdvenville:

~Capital Grille:

No comments:

Post a Comment